Monday, October 28, 2013

Spooky Word Problems

We have been working on addition and subtraction within 20 in math.  We have focused on solving word problems for the past few days and looking for the key words to help us decide if we need to add or subtract.  At the iPad center this week, one of my students created some math equations using the Halloween stamps in the Doodle Buddy app.  She saved her math equations to the photo roll and proudly shared them with me at the end of center time.  The same day, one of my boys had written a word problem in his writing journal during writing workshop.  This was when I decided we should use the Doodle Buddy app to create and solve some word problems, Halloween style using the fun stamps.


The Doodle Buddy app is a free white board app.  I love how easy it is for my students to draw in this app.  The drawing tools are very easy to use and my students love the backgrounds and stamps available in the app.  We have used this app a lot to draw pictures about our thinking.  We then save our images to the photo roll and use our drawings in other apps on the iPads.

This was our first time really typing sentences on the iPads.  We had previously typed math equations and our names, but not complete sentences.  I modeled how to type in the Doodle Buddy app and then they began their word problems.  The students were very proud to show off their spooky word problems.  Here are a few the students created.






1 comment: