Tuesday, October 8, 2013

QR Codes


I have joined the QR Code craze!  
I am loving incorporating these little codes into my classroom.  My students love scanning them, and I am learning more about how to create classroom activities using them.  I found great examples of classroom activites on the blog of Audrey Colwell and tutorials of how to make them on her QR Code Binge post.
 AColwell's Class - First Grade Tech Passionate
To introduce QR codes to our school, I first created a staff development for our back to school meeting. I created a QR code scavenger hunt around our library which linked teachers to awesome website examples of creation apps  being used on iPads to demonstrate learning in primary classrooms.  I linked the QR codes to some examples from the great blogs I have seen recently, such as Matt B. Gomez, Kristi Meeuwse, Kristen Wideen, Kathy Cassidy, and Karen Lirenman.

I used the website http://qrcode.kaywa.com/ to generate my QR codes for free.  I created a page to show how to make codes on this site for teachers at my school.  Here are the directions.  Click the picture to download a copy.

 One activity my class has completed with the QR codes was to unscramble our sight words.  Each QR code brought up a graphic of a scrambled sight word.  The students unscrambled it and recorded the correct sight word on their recording sheet.


I created QR codes to put on our classroom door.  Each child's photo has a QR code that links to his/her Kidblog site.  I thought this would be a great way to introduce our Kidblogs to parents on "Open House" night.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I have actually printed out my last photo 5 minutes ago that I am creating for a display to send people to the student's blog using qr codes. I work with K-5 teachers implementing 1:1 iPads and I am working with one of my teachers using KidBlog. Really excited about getting started! I am your newest follower. I'd love it if you'd check out my blog to see if there is anything there that might help you in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do follow your blog! I found it this summer and love the information you have there. Thanks for following along on my blog.

      Delete